Tuesday, 27 October 2015

The Wedding // New York - Part 2

Hello, it's finally here, New York Part 2 - THE WEDDING!!

I think most people know by now that Barry and I decided to turn our holiday in New York into a honeymoon on August 26th.  We have been together for 13 years (or thereabouts!) and the traditional wedding route was never one that appealed to us.  Of course, when I was a kid I wanted to get married and wear a big dress, but then you grow up and realise there's a lot more to getting married than a dress.  Walking down the aisle, the first dance, speeches, seating plans, not to mention the years of planning involved, all of it just filled me with dread rather than excitement.

I'm also quite stubborn and the fact that so many people assume when you've been with someone for X amount of years that your sitting waiting for a ring.......because of course every girl is just waiting to get married. *insert new eye rolling emoji*.  I mean no offence to anyone who has marriage high on their list of priorities, it just wasn't high on mine.  

It was only recently that I realised I wasn't actually opposed to marriage, I just didn't want a wedding, and all the jazz that goes with it.   

Sadly there is no romantic back story to our elopement. We were all booked for New York, it was our first big holiday since we went on our very first holiday together 10 years ago.  I just casually said one night "why don't we get married in New York?" (I think I was dreaming about being Carrie Bradshaw!).  I guess technically I proposed, but then I kinda sat back and let Barry do the planning.  I suppose you could say I took on the man's role when it came to wedding planning.  Ask the question and then do nothing until the big day!  I would have made a rubbish bridezilla!



I had initially wanted to get married in City Hall (still dreaming of being Carrie!) but Barry wasn't as keen. That's when we (or should I say Barry) found Stylish & Hip Weddings, who not only do photography but also carry out ceremony's. As long as you have less than 25 people attending you can actually get married anywhere in New York! We decided on Dumbo in Brooklyn because it was a little bit quieter than Manhattan (part of me wanted to get married in the exact spot Chuck and Blair did but I had to remind myself I wasn't a character from Gossip Girl).

After the ceremony we had the photographer for an hour and Dumbo is a great area for colourful street art and cobbled streets. 



Once the photos were taken care of we went to Grimaldi's for pizza, then on to Big Gay Ice Cream for what Barry will tell was the best ice cream ever - I'll tell you it was ok - I'd be just as happy with a cone from ikea. Barry is a connoisseur of ice cream though so he's probably more knowledgeable than me.

After a quick stop at the hotel we headed out to Central Park to watch The Blues Brothers. As far as wedding nights go it was a pretty good one. The Blues Brothers soundtrack has now become our wedding playlist. If your ever in New York and the Film Festival is running then definitely go along, it's free and such good fun watching a film outside. Just make sure you are prepared. We turned up with some juice and not much else whilst everyone around us had full on picnics, blankets and pillows!! Rookie mistake!

Oh and our wedding cake was red velvet cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery!



I suppose I should also discuss the small matter of what I wore. I didn't really know what sort of dress I wanted as long as it was something I could wear again. As soon as I seen Alexa Chung wearing this dress from the Topshop Unique Pre-Fall collection I knew it was the one. The only problem would be getting my hands on it! Both Barry and myself signed up to be alerted when the pre-sale went live. I'm so used to getting Topshop emails I never even noticed the vital email one night, telling me that the line went on sale at 6pm! D'oh! In swoops Barry to the rescue......After the first few being "nicked" from his shopping bag whenever he tried to go to the checkout he finally bagged one. It was a size too big but some minor alterations sorted that.

One thing I loved about the dress was that I didn't need any accessories. The sleeves and neckline were more than enough and the pretty floral print and floaty fabric made it perfect for a hot summers day in New York.


I'm not a strappy shoe/sandal kinda girl mainly due to hating my feet, so I opted for a lovely pair of grey chelsea boots with a little heel, which were perfect and easy to walk around in. One thing you do a lot of in New York is walk.  And of course I had my little Alexa bag with me....because I clearly love Alexa Chung.





Eloping might not be for everyone but I'm glad I got married in New York. I rarely do anything exciting or cool in life but I don't think you can get much cooler than getting married on a pebbled beach in Brooklyn, with Manhattan as your backdrop! 

If you missed Part 1 you can find it here.  I have added a list of all the things we got up to just to remind myself of how much we actually did, on top of getting married!!  

I am also conscious that it's almost November and I am still writing about Summer....maybe my next post will be more season appropriate.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the week and has a spooky Halloween when it arrives!



Getting married in NYC
  • You can apply for your licence up to 21 days before your wedding date. 
  • We applied online before we went and then you take the application to City Hall along with your ID.
  • You can then get married 24 hours after you have your licence processed, at a location of your choice, or in the City Hall chapel.
  • The licence is then signed and witnessed and sent back to the City Clerk office if you choose to get married at your own venue/location (Matt who carried out our ceremony dealt with that part.)
  • Your wedding certificate is then posted to you!  Easy peasy! 





All photos taken by Jenny MacFarlane of Stylish & Hip Weddings

12 comments:

  1. This sounds so romantic and the pics are amazing. Congrats to both of you! I've never been desperate to get married either and the idea of a traditional wedding and dancing in front of everyone makes me die a little inside haha! Absolutely love how you two chose to do it xxx

    Www.maisymeow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eilidh. I feel the same about dancing! Sometimes wish I didn't feel like that, but I just know my dancing would be awful or I'd fall/trip/make an idiot of myself in some way so it's not worth the risk! Haha! Dance free weddings are the way to go! Xx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations again on your wedding! You look so beautiful and the photos are absolutely stunning, you must be so happy with them! Gorgeous backdrops, such an awesome location to get married. It looks so perfect xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. Dumbo was an amazing place for photos I'm so glad we picked there and I'm going to town with Dumbo things in memory of our wedding, I've got a dumbo Xmas bauble, a dumbo tin for all my wedding keepsakes, a dumbo tsum tsum....all in the name of romance of course and not because I just want cute Disney stuff! Haha! Xx

      Delete
  3. Lyn this all sounds so romantic! People always have so many expectations for weddings but at the end of the day it's about the bride and groom, absolutely love how you both chose to do it!! Congrats again xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chantelle. I think your right expectations can be high and some people love that, but it's easy to get caught up in it if it's not really want you want. I think everyone should just do what makes them happy! That's what it's all about really xx

      Delete
  4. Congrats! I literally have all the same views on marriage and weddings as you, I think I'd like to get married eventually but I'm not into the whole wedding thing. I think it's so awesome you and Barry eloped like this, I love how laid back the whole thing was, and what better city to do it in than New York! You looked so gorgeous as well, so in love with your dress - yay for managing to get it! Just gave you a follow on Bloglovin, totally loving your blog!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Alice! It was definitely a laid back affair, that's what I loved most about it. People laugh when I say we went for pizza and ice cream after but I can't imagine anything better! I was so happy I got the dress and the fact that I'll be able to wear it again and always think of New York makes it even more special. And thank you for following! I'm off to follow yours! Xx

      Delete
  5. Congratulations again! You look beautiful in your photos and I love all the bright streetart backdrops. What lovely memories of a special day. Really like the story of your dress too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lianne, wish I was back there now! The sunshine seems likes a distant memory now! xx

      Delete
  6. As someone who is similarly crap at some of the things girls are supposed to work themselves up over this looks positively idyllic. And what incredible photos to remember your day by. Congratulations!

    Lis / last year's girl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! It was such a great day and an amazing holiday as well! I would recommend eloping to anyone! xx

      Delete